Amaluna, 3/24/17 - Vienna

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Colton's picture
Amaluna, 3/24/17 - Vienna

90 minutes before the 4pm show I bought a ticket from the box office. €89 for 102 AA 3. This was the first time I'd (and everyone else) ever had my jacket or bag checked by security entering the site. 

My first time seeing this show, it was never on my must list but I'm in Vienna! Amaluna is still Amaluna. In my opinion, it lacks the 'X factor' most other cirque's have that really make a complete and compelling world around the characters and acts. It was my first time seeing seeing a show in Europe as well. The white big top was pretty dirty on the outside... The audience was fantastic though. As enthusiastic and responsive as you see on DVDs (my last show was in Japan...). They even loved the clown acts! Things must have changed because there was no birthing footballs act. Some new changes to the show: Vladimir Pestov as Cali steals almost every scene. Unicycles is still the opening act post London. Banquine is still closing with the show as well. This is a minuscule troupe. They do smaller versions of tricks done in all the other shows to have had it. I was amazed to see Konstantin. He's an original cast member from Quidam and Varekai and on both DVDs! The Banquine porters are all long time company veterans from Zarkana and before, but the male fliers are in their late teens at the oldest. Laura takes off every other city from her balancing act and it's covered by a Chinese performer named LiLi who was just as strong. The program lists them both having the same last name Rigolo... Either it's a typo or anyone who takes over the act is part of the Rigolo troupe? The act was created by Laura's father. Who knows.  The teeterboard team I believe is all new within the last year as well and also very young. The older ones may be moving to Corteo as a team? The merch tent had all the usual stuff, the only DVDs were Amaluna and Quidam. 

The Tracker's picture

Interesting that the crowd enjoyed the clowns, the paris crowd seemed to show as much disdain for it as I did... it's definitely better than the crude football birthing. They've been searching jacked and bags in Europe GC shows for a few years, ever since the whole terrorism thing became a major issue. When you say the male troupes and flyers are young, is that just an observation or a euphemism for "they suck"?

rowelle's picture

So there were no birthing of the footballs, but did the clowns still have the "sex" and were there still babies that they spend 5 minutes trying to make the audience sing a lullabye to?

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (2), Luzia (2), Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

Colton's picture

They're just very young in ages. For teeterboard though what I saw of the original cast was they were more charismatic and individual. These guys all seem to go for the same plucky character. I'm sure their characters will sophisticate with time though. Maybe this is a stereotype but I think Germans/Austrians/Hungarians all have very healthy senses of humor and are much quicker to let loose and have fun. By the second act (aerial straps) they were already roaring with applause. 

There was a sword fight scene. They did something during set up of parallel bars I couldn't see because it was all behind me. And the final scene was a little mairrage and honey moon on the boat. 

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

The Tracker's picture

Just to clarify a little, the "sword scene" features one of the clowns flopping a massive rubber sword pretending it is his you-know-what. I dont know if I would necessarily call that a healthy sense of humour. I cant express how much i hate those clowns enough, its so dreadfully immature, vulgar and distasteful. What were the artistic directors thinking??

ZarkMagic's picture

Agreed, I don't know much about the new clowns and what goes on in those acts but I remember the clowns on the DVD were so cringe, it was hard to sit there without skipping them. I am so curious to know what the new clowns do!

Colton's picture

Forgot to mention these clowns now do the snow storm act from Alegria.

(sarcasm)  

Semisubtle's picture
AdministratorMember

Oh my god, you gave me a heart attack with that Alegria joke! haha

Can you comment on how banquine fits into the show? With the Valkyries now performing in the storm act, what happens to Cali and how? Does Romeo's transition from the pole act to the water bowl to being saved make more sense now? 

Colton's picture

The program says banquine is a celebration of the island being liberated from Cali. 

The Waiter's picture

I agree that Amaluna does miss some of that X Factor. The one thing I do appreciate about it though is that it's the first chapiteau show to have a more concrete story line like that of Ka to some degree. Doesn't always work and some of the acts aren't inegrated into the story very well but over all it does try and works okay.