Amaluna in Paris: 15 December 2015

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Tracker's picture
Amaluna in Paris: 15 December 2015

This is my first show review so bear with me (especially since this was my first time seeing Amaluna live, having only seen it once on DVD before)...
So I watched the DVD and in all honesty really disliked it. Amaluna had the worst clowns, the opening few acts were dull and the music for some acts weren't suitable BUT having heard about the numerous and drastic changes to the show, I decided to give it a go and my instincts paid off. The new changes have completely remodelled the show for the better and it is amazing!

*Opening: The opening remains consistent with the DVD, and the music, red cloth and 'dance number' (idk what to call it) is still a wow factor.

*Hoop Diving: This is the NEW act I was most looking forward to and it was pretty good! So the lizards come on stage and for most of the trick used the hula hoops to jump through, which I found disappointing considering the guy holding the hoop kept moving it last second to help the jumper... But this was an act they were trained to do as a secondary thing after Icarian (I'm pretty sure it's the Iris guys). The new music is much more suitable now and the final two jumps are done on Dralion style hoops which brought me back to that glorious show. The last jump itself has 6 hoops ontop of each other, similar to that of Dralion so I think they brought back that one Dralion artist into the show to do those two jumps while the rest was done by the Iris icarians. 8/10

*Aerial Straps: The acts I believe has added the storm goddess as a fourth artist. The three in blue (as per the DVD) still go around the periphery of the stage whilst the storm goddess (similarly dressed but in black) does tricks down the centre. Usually I find aerial acts boring (especially silks) but this was really interesting, especially with them flying up to podiums on the lighting columns and flying over the audience. 9/10

*Clowns: The clowns are now Miranda's nanny (Mainha) who is NEW. They replaced the clown in the yellow drapes with a slightly plump lady with a broom, similar to the cleaner in La Nouba. The act centres around a flirtatious game between her and Romeo's master (Papulya). These new clowns are better than before because it no longer has the pregnancy scene (which I found irrelevant and plain weird) but instead their is LOTS of kissing and Papulya staring at her bum which I still wasn't a huge show. Seriously, I know there was the Kooza clown petition which was a bit extreme, but this act was borderline MA 15+ and I didn't laugh once, as I did for other clowns eg Dralion), but it was much better than the original amaluna clowns. 3/10

*Peacock Dance: This act was fascinating in the way the artist twisted her body, reminiscent of the 1000 arms and stick dance. It serves as a short interlude before the next act which I liked because if it went on for too long I would get tired of it, but it was perfect in its length and I found the dance as enchanting as Romeo did! 8/10

*Aerial Hoop/Singing: This act never ceases to amaze. The brilliant voice of Marie Michelle Faber all whilst combined with her graceful athletics in the air is pretty special. Amaluna will probably struggle to find someone else capable of all those things in one. Our show didn't see the moon structure, instead she just came down on the hoop, which was a little disappointing but if you didn't know the show, it would seem normal. 8/10

*Waterbowl/handbalancing: Our Miranda was performed by the backup artist, a Mongolian girl with probably the longest, ad most difficult to pronounce name so I'll just call her Miranda... She had great chemistry with the Romeo on stage and really captured the childlike quality associated with the plot line (which is much less strong in the new version). Her handbalancing was well executed, but I've seen it time and time again. This particular one was almost identical to a shortened Dralion one. I've never seen the Waterbowl live before this and I don't think much of it even now. There isn't much acrobatics involved, just diving into the bowl then jumping out again, however I did like he last part when Miranda is in the tank and Romeo sees her from outside. It reminds me of the fish tank scene of Romeo and Julliet in the Luhrman movie and the obvious connotations of their love story. 6.5/10

*Uneven Bars: I always thought this act was good, but I hated the old music. Luckily the shows creators did too and have changed it to a new song (sorry, but idk what it's called). The acrobatics are amazing as always, however the absence of trampoline (as in Totem) makes the artists much more static, and the close proximity of the bars doesn't let them do as any jumps, then when they remove the middle two, the outer ones are too far apart for them to swing from one to the other as I would've liked but considering there was no trampoline, it was very good, especially with the new music. 8/10

*Teeterboard: This act was extremely well executed, as per the DVD. The platform behind it allows the artists to get more height and so do bigger and better jumps. This reminded me of the Dralion teeterboard and I love it. This being said, since Dralion is more single jumps, I preferred that to the long buildups to the jump in Amaluna which slowed the pace a little. 7.5/10

*Stick Balancing (Manipulation): This is the same as the DVD and boy was it a hit for me. At times the sticks wobbled a bit too close for comfort but every time she managed to control it and everything went smoothly. I was extremely nervous through the majority of the act and hardly dared to breathe. That being said, the stupid "singer" kept sighing deeply throughout the song (during the quiet parts she acts as wind or something, but is so harsh that it sounds like a mini hurricane) and I was worried it would scare the hell out of the artist and cause the sticks to fall. Luckily the artist somehow ignored the singer's "musical interruptions" which was my only criticism of he act (I'm referring to the singer, not the artists ability to ignore her just to clarify). 8.5/10

1000 Arms and Sticks:
This act was really interesting and I haven't seen anything like it live before. The only problem is that unless you are looking from the exact front of it, you don't get to appreciate the spectacle of one person with many arms. Unfortunately for me where I was sitting, even thought the stage turned, when it was facing me, nothing was happening on stage for the split second everything was lined up. Luckily it wasn't a long act and the music suited the dance number well. 6.5/10

Chinese Pole: This solo artist was very talented, but I found it lacked the scale and impact from the music Saltimbanco had. If I hadn't seen Saltimbanco before, I think I would enjoy it more, but I keep comparing it to the extremely powerful act which was one of my all time favs. Still, considering there was only one pole and one artist, it was brilliantly done. 7.5/10

Juggling: It was Victor Kee. Need I say anymore? His acting is amazing as Cali and the fluidity of his body is amazing. The juggling itself was even better than Dralion with more variety than it. I found it all too short! But that's probably because I love his act! The fire ball was really good as a final act, but because it only lasts 2 rounds, I think a more powerful finale could be a 8 or 9 ball juggle as is in Zarkana... Still, I'm so glad I got to see him before he leaves the show, next year I believe. 8.5/10

Icarian Games: This final act was nothing short of spectacular! The Iris style Icarian was really interesting to see live, although I think the Varekai one is still more interesting when they do the repeated loops of the man on the guy in the chair (simply because that trick in Varekai lasts at least double the time). Also I was extremely disappointed that one of the tricks they did was a guy doing a backflip from one person'a shoulders down to the lying down catcher. He missed the landing and fell off the catcher. They simply moved on and didn't retry the trick which was VERY un-cirque-like and unacceptable! Other than that however, they were faultless and extremely good. The audience were very supportive when he fell, but I've seen numerous videos eg Quidam's banquine or Totem's unicycle bowls where they redo the trick when they stuff up and I was surprised they didn't even try to get it right this time. 8.5/10

JT
JT's picture

I don't know if it was that way for your show but I believe the Balance Goddess makes her own sounds if you're referring to sounds like in the video below or are you walking additional sounds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELROG7uppps

Colton's picture

From what I saw in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQUR_Lj5HE
I thought the new Mongolian artist was surprisingly lack luster, though she's new. Ulzii who filled in with just contortion did an excellent job.

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

Utopian's picture

Is the dvd available at the show boutique?
I'm gonna see the show in Frankfurt, but I'd love to grab a copy since it's impossible to find it elsewhere...

The Tracker's picture

Utopian: I'm not completely sure because I didn't pay attention to it, but I think if did see it. If not it's available on eBay for decent prices.

The Tracker's picture

JT: in that video it looks like she has a mic and is making the noises herself, but during the show, Prospera is clearly visible (she's sitting on a box on stage) making the breathing noises, not the artist.

The Tracker's picture

Colton: Strange. That video is plain awkward, but last night was a lot more natural. Perhaps that was one of we earlier shows since she is the new backup since Ulzii left... I do agree though. In that video she doesn't look that great.