Cirque 2016: Luzia

536 posts / 0 new
Last post
Utopian's picture
Cirque 2016: Luzia

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/cirque2016

Just one word: WHAT?!?!?!?

The Trickster's picture

Seems like an interesting idea to me, they can get a lot out of it. I see a very colorful show ahead!

ispeakcirquish's picture

Not sure how to feel yet. Gonna need some more information before I form an opinion.

-ispeakcirquish

Utopian's picture

It seems a big touring advertising campaign to me and nothing more...

The Trickster's picture

I'm staying open minded. But I loved Daniele's previous show for Cirque.

itsthezac's picture

I agree with utopian the website does make the show sound like just a gimmick to come to see another show of theirs. However just like The Trickster says too Daniele did do an amazing job on Corteo. Daniele has alot of different styles. I researched some of this other shows on youtube and honestly each of his shows are way different than the other. So I am hopeful that this whole like Tourism thing going on the website serves a point for the show!

The Waiter's picture

I wonder if they're taking a few notes from Dragone's "India" show.

Funhouse's picture

It's an unexpected choice and I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet, but Corteo is one of my favorite shows and the website seems to be pulling inspiration from some promising things so I won't judge before I see more!

The Trickster's picture

It'll probably be based off a mexican tale or something like that.

Colton's picture

I hope they take some inspirations from Frida Kahlo.

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

The Tracker's picture

I absolutely loved the asian theme of Dralion, not as much the northern european feel of corteo which I found too depressing, so Im not sure what I'll think of mexico... Been waiting for this announcement for a while, but Im a little disappointed to be honest. I'll wait for more details to be released though

The Tracker's picture

i feel as though Cirque's target market has completely changed from North America/Europe to Asia and South America (in particular China - Cirque Hangzhou 2018 permanent show, Toruk etc. and Mexico- Joya, theme park, Cirque 2016 etc.)

The Tracker's picture

Looking at the Love at first sight, if they feature bullfighting, I refuse to go. Wonderstruck makes me think they will include some kind of temple and #inspirecirque has a photo of a Tipi tent, so it will be awesome if they used a big top tent with that theme rather than a traditional blue and yellow

Richasi's picture

It's an interesting choice to be sure. Having been to Mexico, there's no mistaking the fact that there is a rich history and culture there, but my first impression is that Cirque 2016 just a traveling version of JOYA. That and it's wholly sponsored by the Mexican Tourism board. That being said all we have here is just a quick teaser, nothing more, which is hardly enough to judge the show by. My fear is that Cirque will take the theme too literally, and when they take the theme too literal we'll get another Wintuk or OVO.

The Tracker's picture

I didn't actually mind OVO, i didn't see Wintuk though. OVO's music and costumes were good as were the acts which I think fitted in perfectly with the theme they were demonstrating... insects! For example the spider web and giant flowers were fascinating and despite taking the theme literally, I think it worked out well. Plus to be fair, how else do you interpret the theme 'insects upclose'?

Richasi's picture

There isn't anything wrong with OVO, Tom. I myself don't mind it. But you can invoke the idea of insects without actually becoming one in a costume. When you look at Saltimbanco, do you see an urban world? Probably not. But it's there in the abstract. When you look at Mystere, do you see the universe? No, but again, they journey is there. And yes there are animal characters there too - birds, lizards, etc. - but do they LOOK like birds and lizards the way they do in OVO? No, not really. Because Mystere isn't that literal.

To be fair, yes, OVO does a good job with looking at the insect world. That isn't in dispute. To me, and others, it's just too literal when compared to Cirque's other celebrated productions.

Colton's picture

Tiny and subtle inspirations from Mexican culture exist already in cirque. The Mayan cosmonaut costumes in Totem, a Mayan observatory as Zaia's stage. and the Incan necklace and headpiece of the baton twirler from ZED. It'll be very hard to approach anything Day of the Dead related without treading on Kooza's skeleton toes. Joya looks quaint to me: humble and non pretentious, the culture theme seems heavy handed at the end (that huge mural of a happy Mexican community during final bow) but at the same time it's largely for Mexican audiences. Cirque handled Native American inspirations well, and lightly for the very contemporary Totem. The Montreal audience is savvy. Anything truly too far afield come premier time will be quickly reworked in response to soft opening responses I trust.

Richasi's picture

Mayan civilization is more Central America (but yes, extreme south-eastern Mexico too), and Inca is South American. Aztec, however, that's wholly Mexican. :)

And I understand where you're coming from Colton. I guess I was just hoping for something different. I'll be keeping an open mind for sure, but I can't help my knee-jerk reaction.

Richasi's picture

Mayan civilization is more Central America (but yes, extreme south-eastern Mexico too), and Inca is South American. Aztec, however, that's wholly Mexican. :)

And I understand where you're coming from Colton. I guess I was just hoping for something different. I'll be keeping an open mind for sure, but I can't help my knee-jerk reaction.

The Waiter's picture

I predict even more handbalancing, contortion, cyr wheels, and aerial straps but all done while wearing sombreros. lol But seriously I do hope they do something interesting with it.

One the subject of Ovo, yeah it is more literal than the other cirque shows but I don't see that as a bad thing. A show with a more simple and straight forward theme at least is something different and makes it more unique compared to the other shows. I never understood how diabolos is supposed to evoke a firefly though...

The Trickster's picture

Like I said for TORUK let's not judge too quickly, I think Mexico is just a loose theme to inspire the costumes and maybe the story. But obviously it won't be a touring commercial.

The Tracker's picture

I'm mainly interested in the circus acts that they will include and I hope to god it will be like Totem, really creative and fresh! I like the look of Toruk's vertical wall and I think that act has heaps of potential. In terms of costume for cirque 2016 I agree, it definitely needs to be subtle because otherwise the flamboyant and extravagant Mexican dress will ruin the show. Also I think it is too culture specific, usually they may have influences, but to dedicate a show to Mexico is too much I think, as I said though, let's wait and see

Ikaro's picture

This show would be a waste with out Octavio Alegria!

Richasi's picture

Ikaro: YES!

itsthezac's picture

So i was creeping on Instagrams earlier today and ran across something that stated that Simon Carpentier is gonna be doing the music for this show... I dont know how credible this information is since its just someones instagram but.... yeah....

Here is the text from the persons Instagram!

As most of you know, the next touring show (carp) Cirque will be inspired by the heart and soul of Mexico.

Since the details of the show begin: -Majo Cornejo, Mexican singer confirmed to be part of this show.
Simon Carpentier (Zumanity, Wintuk) music director
-Mayoría Cast will be Latino. What to expect from this show?"

It was translated from Spanish.

The Trickster's picture

So most the cast will be latino?

itsthezac's picture

i think thats what they were trying to say yes :)

itsthezac's picture

i think thats what they were trying to say yes :)

le Maitre's picture

Mexico has such a rich history of art and culture, the possibilities are amazing:
The work of artists, like Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Jose Orozco, David Siquieros, Gabriel Orozco...
The films of Alejandro González Iñárritu, Guillermo Del Toro, Alfonso Cuarón, Gael Garcia Bernal, and Rodrigo Prieto.
The aesthetic of Día de Muertos, like in Book Of Life, or the altars and Ofrendas during the day.
Legends and folklore, like the Aztec or Olmec creation tales.
Mayan sculpture, like chacmool or the stelae at sites like Chichen Itza or Tulum.
The cliff divers of Acapulco.
The voladores dances in Papantla.
Talk about a really rich cultural heritage to draw from; Mexico isn't all serapes and sleeping people leaning on cactus.

Colton's picture

Lots of promise. Hope to see some of the future Quidam alumni join this shows creation!

Z3D
Z3D's picture

There's also a lot of promise in the visual aspect of things. I can imagine the costumes and set will be spectacular.

Pages