Cirque 2016: Luzia

536 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Trickster's picture

I think the idea is really great, however I really hope it is a diverse cast. Can't wait to start hearing a bit more information, probably after TORUK's premiere.

Utopian's picture

It seems that Simon Carpentier is doing the music for the new show, as reported by Anna Liani's official FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/annalianiofficial/photos/a.149225855280749.1073...

Mungojerrie2010's picture

I hope its true! I'm getting sick of Bob and Bill, tbh.

"All your dreams can come true. IF you have to courage to pursue them."-Walt Disney

The Trickster's picture

Yeah, they need to move on.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

But then again it's Simon Carpentier. IMO the soundtracks for Zumanity and Wintuk are just so... dull

Except for Bello Amore of course.

So it'd be interesting to see what he does with a Latin inspired soundtrack.

thefleur's picture

I wish that they bought back René Dupéré...but not his later works - more classic cirque sound, think Saltimbanco, Nouvelle Experience and Alegria!!!!

A1Federation's picture

Yeah, I dunno...I'm not a fan of Simon Carpentier. Wintuk, Zumanity, and the final version of Banana Shpeel. Bleh.

And listen to this monstrosity from Wintuk:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvhEMn8YGk.

Propel_Pierrot's picture

Yeah... simon carpentier had done pretty great soundtrack but it not often put on cd... i mean, like the real show soundtrack. Check the Zumanity soundtrack. Or Banana Spheel, great soundtrack but never posted... I still hope the return of Rene Dupere or Benoit Jutras, their soundtrack are the best !

The Trickster's picture

I have hope, they're not just going to let him screw it up.

Exactly Trickster. This isn't some show that will be tossed into a theatre, this is a Big Top show; Cirque's signature creation. If they're not happy with what he brings to the table, I'm sure they will find someone else.

"All your dreams can come true. IF you have to courage to pursue them."-Walt Disney

Icarus's picture

What Simon has done so far is great for Cirque 2016. it's Latin inspired without being tacky or copy/paste of latin music

The Tracker's picture

I'm sorry WHAT??? Why all the hate for Bob and Bill, my absolute favourite new cirque songs are from totem and Kurios which just so happens to be done by them. Although is always open to new composers, I think it's a bit rude to celebrate it not being Bob and Bill... I reckon Zumanity does have a really boring soundtrack (haven't heard wintuk) but I would love if Benoit Jutras could do another show! I love O, La Nouba and Quidam's music!

The Tracker's picture

I don't think just because it's a GC show they take more pride in the show... Personally I'm not a fan of Koozas music for eg.

The Waiter's picture

I think his music in the live version of Zumanity is pretty good (the CD released for it was garbage). But yeah I agree its good that have someone other than Bob and Bill do the music for the newer shows. I don't hate Bob and Bill but I think more often than not 1/3 of the music on their soundtracks will be great but the rest will be rather dull.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

I gotta say what played during the live performance of Dance on TV was 100 times better than the album version, and Two Men was also great. I tried listening to the album of Zumanity again a few weeks back to see if my taste had changed, but I couldn't, seriously most of it is just awful.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

I thought Benoit parted ways with Cirque with Dragone along with Crête. I think I read something like that a while ago. Can someone tell me if this true cos it sounds a bit iffy to me.

The Trickster's picture

Like some of my favorite music is by Bob & Bill, but I like the diversity of having different composers for different shows. The KURIOS music for example is nice, but it sounds a lot like background music.

Richasi's picture

Yes, Benoit Jutras parted ways about the time he got thrown off of KA ;)

The only score Bob and Bill has done that I really enjoy is TOTEM. I personally don't care for either Amaluna or Kurios.

The Waiter's picture

Its a shame about Benoit, I think he's truly a talented composer who's not being used to his full potential. It doesn't seem like he's totally parted ways with Cirque since he's done a few new things like write pieces for new acts in shows and the score for Worlds Away.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

Richasi: Ah thanks! That was what I was thinking of, I knew it was some time after Dragone.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

It's also a shame that other Cirque originals, Dupere, Brown (Zarkana, but still) and Lemieux haven't done a show in a while. Lemieux is hands down a genius in costume-designing. Seriously her work in ZAIA (my favourite of what she's done) is nothing short of awesome.

The Trickster's picture

Who is doing costumes for Cirque 2016, because I'm expecting a colorful show.

The Tracker's picture

I do agree. Bob and Bill are hit and miss for all shows (apart from totem) especially in terms of Amaluna. I only heard cd recordings of Zumanity cos I am too young to see it live! But live is very different to the cd so idk how it really does sound. Such a pity they lost Benoit, I adored the O theme song!

Z3D
Z3D's picture

Also include the first third of the live Hand2Hand in Zumanity as being one of Carpentier's best. The song goes downhill after that, but at the beginning it is perfect with the slow and sensual jazz.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

Tom, by all means have your opinion but I think Bob & Bill's only album which isn't a hit and a miss is Kurios, but that's probably coz I like that kind of music. I actually like most of Amaluna's soundtrack, apart from Fly Around. My ears explode everytime I hear it. And I found their world music approach pretty strange in Totem. I would consider half of the songs on the album unlistenable...

thefleur's picture

I think that Benoit is great, but Rene is something else. His music is so iconic and has shaped what cirque is today. I'm excited to see what Simon will come up with - perhaps it will be good to change things up. I think Bob and Bill are very talented, but some of their music, in my opinion, isn't really Circus music. Amaluna is one of the most boring things I've listened to - puts me to sleep haha ;)

EthAn's picture

The name of Cirque 2016 is confirmed : Lúzia (https://qa.cirquedusoleil.com/fr/spectacles)

Z3D
Z3D's picture

I just had a lightbulb moment. Perhaps the reason why Bob & Bill aren't doing the music is because they did Joya's, and they're similar in style, no? It'd be hard to come up with original music for the same genre a year later even for pro composers like them I imagine.

Richasi's picture

Z3D: you're probably right. With B&B busy doing Joya (and hopefully getting its music recorded onto CD), something else was needed for Luzia. Also, B&B only contributed to 4 tracks in Kurios (at least on the CD), with Raphaël Beau doing the rest . In fact, I think most of the music in the show I do like to play over and over wasn't done by B&B. Not that I dislike B&B.

Pages