Cirque 2018 - Hangzhou Resident Show

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
JT
JT's picture
Cirque 2018 - Hangzhou Resident Show

Here we go folks. Sounds like there'll be a resident show in China. I think Hangzhou is a good location. It's a big domestic & international tourist city known for its culture & history. So the only details so far are:

Opening: 2018
Theatre: 1400 seats

Interesting in the article Lamarre making a comment about Dragone's productions in China...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-avatar-cir...

http://business.financialpost.com/news/cirque-du-soleil-plans-permanent-...

Richasi's picture

*sigh*

MadameLePetit's picture

It will definitely be interesting to see where this goes, starting with how well "Toruk" does in its Chinese itinerary. "Avatar" was a huge box-office hit in China, but that was a while ago now, Michael Jackson's popularity in that country didn't keep "IMMORTAL World Tour" from completely bombing there, and before that and the dud that was "ZAIA" three beautiful Dragone-era tours couldn't drum up interest in the brand (i.e., it's not just that Cirque hasn't sent some good shows over). If Cirque does manage to learn from those mistakes there is a lot of potential in the Chinese market, but if they don't...

Ikaro's picture

Cirque will not learn.. the reason why they are failing is because they aren't taking things that are unique enough to China. Lets not forget the Chinese have a great history with circus arts. Cirque taking a show to China is like a slap in the face to them. The reason why Dragone and Cavalia did so well is because -

Dragone : incorporated LOTS of asian influences, styles, acts, water, MOTOCROSS!

Cavalia: Acrobatics mixed with horses

Thats all new, Cirque isn't elaborating on their recipe!

JT
JT's picture

I think one of the issues is that the Cirque thinks it's infallible. This comment from Lamarre about ZAIA's failure shows that:

"Macau was and still is a gambling city. Unfortunately [it] doesn’t matter what you produce there -- people are there to gamble."

Yet The House of Dancing Water is still running.

Richasi's picture

I agree JT. I read that quote and immediately thought about House of Dancing Water. I guess they're still really peeved about Dragone leaving and going off to do his own thing. I think there's potential for Cirque in China but they'll need to get their collective heads out of their asses first to make any headway there. ZAIA proved they don't know what the hell to do with China. Hopefully their new partners can educate them and the new resident show will be successful.

The Waiter's picture

And they dont' want to admit that Zaia wasn't the best show. When I watch the full length video of the original Zaia show and compare it to the videos I've seen of House of Dancing Water, House blows it out of the water easily.

Richasi's picture

My immediate reaction about ZAIA (based on that video) is that ZAIA's performance space was just too damn big. Some of the acts just look so tiny compared to the space they had. Cirque took the "too big" adage in the wrong way.

Ikaro's picture

Three words- Bring back Zed

Ikaro's picture

Three words- Bring back Zed

MadameLePetit's picture

That's what I meant about learning from their mistakes -- they need to read the potential audience better, and come up with a thrilling, unique concept that appeals to it. I know a lot of people loved "ZED" (and I would have seen it given the opportunity; I was sad to hear it had to close), but I don't think a restaging would be the "killer app" Cirque needs in China. "ZAIA" may have been a weak show, but even the Dragone-era tours that visited the country weren't big hits. It's not just a matter of a high-quality show -- it needs a "hook" of some kind.

The Trickster's picture

The "hook" needs to be something the Chinese have never really seen before. House of Dancing Water beat Cirque to an Aquatic show in Macau, something the Chinese never associated with acrobatics. Maybe an aquatic show could work for Hangzhou.

The Waiter's picture

Or perhaps something along the lines of Ka?

ispeakcirquish's picture

Yeah another Ka-esque show could do well in the market I think.

-ispeakcirquish

Richasi's picture

I agree! Since KA was a major technical show when it showed up on the Strip, if Cirque could push that envelope even further, and pump up some of the storyline/acrobatics, I think a KA-like show would do great!

The Trickster's picture

Totally agree. Or even the best would be some sort of mix between an aquatic show and KA. So basically O and KA blended together.

The Waiter's picture

Well I'd say HoDW is already something of a blend between Ka and O.

The Trickster's picture

Wow took me a while to find out what HoDW meant. Yes that's true and I think that a production like that will work but without the motorcycles of course.

Propel_Pierrot's picture

I thought they were going to open a new show in the future Shanghai Disney Worlds, as with La Nouba or Zed

Richasi's picture

It's something that might happen, but Hangzhou isn't that far from Shanghai. Maybe they don't want to tie themselves to Disney outside of the US anymore...

The Waiter's picture

I doubt they'd put it in Shanghai Disneyland since the resort is getting a theater that will be playing the Lion King and other broadway shows. It would have to compete with that.

The Tracker's picture

Just out of interest, what's up with Toruk at North Charelston, it is STILL on coming soon!

The Trickster's picture

I think that's just a bug because if you go on the actual Toruk site than you can book the tickets.

The Tracker's picture

A few interesting points raised in a fairly recent article about Cirque's endeavours in china, and I'm a little concerned. It sounds like they are trying to immitate and overtake Dragone's expansion into China (Han show, Dai show, HODW) even though ticket sales for the Han show were initially fairly low (not sure if they increased post premier). The chinese market is a tricky one. Artistic edge isn't important its all about traditional chinese circus acts done to the extreme and fancy technology to compliment, and I'm not sure it suits cirque.

Last time they had a big push for shows, we got quite a few crappy ones (and I know many disagree with me but...) there was the glory days of Saltimbanco to Corteo (11 shows in 14 years), a dodgy period from Delirium to Viva Elvis (10 shows in 3 years) as well as Zarkana to Amaluna (4 shows in 2 years) and I fear they are moving into another with already several not up to par shows in recent years such as Toruk, Paramour, the hommage series, Joya and Volta. Although these may not be bad shows, no one can argue that they are as good as the classic cirques or new cirques done perfectly (namely Luzia and Kurios).

*2 touring shows to china in 2017-18 (including Toruk)

*5 permanent shows in China in the next 5-7 years (the first of which is Hanzou 2018 which is an "East meets West show" - sound familiar? - and possibly a dinner-show like Joya)

*Possibility of another cirque theme park, but in China this time.

http://montrealgazette.com/business/local-business/cirque-du-soleil-woos...

kraze56's picture

I dont know Tracker, I would have agreed with you pre Luzia, in fact a bunch of us were skeptical about Luzia (and their use of Cyr wheels) and when it came out, boy were we wrong. We all know that in general, arena shows are not as good as big top or even resident (for the most part) shows, and the hommage series are put together from pieces of other ideas, so that too shouldnt count. Volta hasnt even been launched and we're poo-pooing it already? I say wait and see, but dont get me wrong, I have been skeptical too. 

To comfort the "skepties" around here, yes Amaluna was softer than the other shows and far from Quidam or Alegria, but look at Kurios, Totem even, and Luzia, all out of the park home runs in my and many others opinions, so there is hope!

The Tracker's picture

Firstly, I said "new cirques done perfectly (namely Luzia and Kurios)" for a reason, they are excellent. Totem I agree is amazing (in fact those three and mystere are my favourite currently playing shows) which is why I didn't mention it when talking about the bad shows. And let me just point out that Totem was the only show made that year (which in fact strengthens my argument!) If you look at the hit-miss ratio of shows, although yes recently Kurios and Luzia have been hits, almost everything else has been a miss whereas once upon a time it was hit after hit after hit. That's my point.

The skepticism of Luzia all stemmed from one photo of a promo of their costumes, which I agree was attrocious, but other than that the response I felt was almost entirely positive before the show premiered. I usually have pretty good judgement about shows (eg I was never remotely interested in Toruk, Joya or Paramour and hey, look how they turned out! but I was always in awe of Kurios and Luzia) and nothing about Volta looks good to me, theme, plot, aesthetic. I agree we should wait for it to come out before making a final judgement (which is what I always do) but waiting has never really changed my opinion of a show by a huge deal.

itsthezac's picture

So last night i went looking at the jobs page at the Cirque du Soleil website and found something exciting. They poasted two new job openings for this Hangzhou show.

The King (Middle Aged Caucasian Male) and The Empress (Middle Aged Asian Female) both are singers for this show. From the looks of it they are really big into Character building for these characters. Also what it seems this show may very well be simalar to KA in the way the show seems to be structured and how they want these characters.

The Empress http://en.ext.casting.cirquedusoleil.com/ts2mmx__JobDetails?jobId=a0xA00...

The King http://en.ext.casting.cirquedusoleil.com/ts2It mmx__JobDetails?jobId=a0xA000000HOAt8IAH&tSource=#.WO8N2ZePzLg.link

Both use a Rene Dupree composed piece.. Maybe its just me being a over thinking fan but he just may be back to write music for this show like he did for KA and ZED.

But thats not all.....

On Michel Laprise's Facebook page i belive the evening after the VOTA press confrence he posted about he completed the first day of the first week of creation for a new show. He may be the director for this newHangzhou show. So thats all i got when it comes to updates for this show!

Matthew250's picture

This might be interesting. The show that's coming to China still hasn't got a name yet, but surprisingly has auditions going on.

Colton's picture

Shows go into creation two years before premier and the name is announced much later. not unusual at all. 

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

The Tracker's picture

I could 110% see these guys as part of Hangzhou 2018. Absolutely mesmirising act! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTrtNbiVjs

It combines all the best of hand to hand, artistic dance and banquine all into one! Love it!!!

rowelle's picture

Now that is what Pas de Deux should be like!

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (3), Luzia (2), Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

Pages