KA/O/Mystere - September 2017

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Enderman9000's picture
KA/O/Mystere - September 2017

This past two weeks I had the pleasure of seeing KA, O, and Mystere for my very first time.
I will review all three shows, starting with KA.

• ACTS:
PAGEANT: Great start. Fantastic music and impressive tricks.
STORM: Intense music, great choreography. Not much to say here.
DEEP: Christ, what a beautiful interlude. One of the best music pieces in the show and the visuals are great too.
ARCHER'S DEN: Not much to say here, decent act.
WASH-UP: Nice bit of humor as opposed to the intensity of the rest of the show.
SHADOWS: Again, a fantasic piece of music and some great shadowplay as well.
CLIMB: Probably my favorite part of the show. Starts with some humor and then goes into an intense attack with perfect music to go along with it.
BLIZZARD/FLIGHT: As with pretty much every other act, great music (Koudamare & Flight), and I really like the mountain tribe characters.
BATONS: Probably one of the best baton acts I've ever seen with fantastic music to go along.
FOREST: I wish there was a little more going on during the strap duo, but good act.
SLAVE CAGE: Intense act, everyone was on the edge of their seat.
FINAL BATTLE: Was a little disappointed here. I liked the intense music and the stage projection, but it was a little hard to tell what was going on.

Overall, I'd give KA an 8/10. The music was truly the highlight of the show, as it has some of the best music of any Cirque show out there in my opinion.
When we got seating, our usher was a character named "Vuu" who was hilarious. Apparently the ushers before the show are a character too, which was really great.

Now for O's review.

• ACTS:
NAGE: Nice short start. Good music and good choreography.
DUO TRAPEZE: Shorter than I wanted it to be, but other than that good act.
LA BARGE: Pretty nice fun act. Definitely impressive.
CLOWN HOUSE: I love the clowns in this show. They're pretty classic and funny.
BATEAU: Honestly was a little disappointed with this act. Pretty short for such a big setup.
FIRE: Really good act. Nice and long with impressive tricks throughout the act.
RUSSIAN SWINGS: Best act of the show in my opinion. Nice upbeat music and amazing tricks all around.
CLOWN DANCE: One of the audience members they brought on stage, this older man, REALLY got into it. Made the act 10 times better.
CADRE: Pretty impressive how they can keep hanging on with how slippery it must be because of the water.
HIGH DIVE: Nail-biting. Even if it is a shorter act, very impressive and you could hear some gasps from the audience as they jumped.
WASHINGTON TRAPEZE: So... what is she balancing on and how? Decent act with nice music.
CONTORTION: Probably one of the best contortion acts I've seen throughout Cirque in a while.
CERCEAUX: Good way to end off the show, although it could of been a little longer.

Overall, I'd give O a 7.5/10. The show was still fantastic and the set was amazing, but there were a few acts in there I felt that could of been longer.
And lastly, Mystere's review.

• ACTS:
DUO STRAPS: I'm not even sure if this can be counted as duo, for 90% of the act it was just the one person (unless someone wasn't in the show?). Great music though.
CHINESE POLES: Best Chinese Poles act I've seen throughout Cirque. Nice long act with great music and great choreography.
HAND-TO-HAND: Seriously, how do they do that? VERY impressive act with great music to accompany it.
AERIAL SILK: Kalimando is a perfect song for this act. The act is nice and slow paced, and even if it was short, it was great while it lasted.
BUNGEE: I was sitting in the front row, so my only complaint is everything happened directly above me, which made it hard to see. Great act and music though.
FAST TRACK/KOREAN PLANK: Another fantastic act. Nice and long with great music and some of the best tricks in the show. Only a couple of mistakes on the plank.
DEI EX MACHINA: A good interlude with nice music to transition into one of the best Cirque clown acts I've ever seen. Brian Dewhurst is probably my favorite Cirque clown overall.
FLYING TRAPEZE: Perfect way to end the show. Very upbeat and fast paced compared to an act like La Nouba's, and while there was a mistake, they recovered quickly and ended the act perfectly.

Overall, Mystere gets a 9/10. Mystere not only was my favorite of the three, but it's my favorite Cirque show of all time, so that should say a lot.
My dad was chosen to be the baby clown's dad during the show. Not sure if that made the show worse or better, but it was a fantastic show with great acts and hilarious clowns. Plus the singers were amazing.

The Tracker's picture

I'm not going to read this just yet, because I'll be seeing those exact shows (and ONE) in December And I want to keep an open mind, but thanks in advanced for the detailed review!

Semisubtle's picture
AdministratorMember

Ah, you're making me regret skipping Mystere at my last visit even more! Thanks for the updates, glad to hear you had such a good time at all three. 

ispeakcirquish's picture

Solid reviews, you're one of the few people I've seen give Ka a higher rating than O! Interesting!

-ispeakcirquish

Enderman9000's picture

@ispeakcirquish - I wasn't expecting to like Ka as much as I did going in, but the experience with the staff and the immersion just went above and beyond my expectations.

Switched accounts to Wittloc

ispeakcirquish's picture

@Enderman I totally get you, I revisited Ka this summer and I had completely forgotten a) the beauty and complexity of the theatre and b) how much they do to really bring you into the world of the show, especially with the Archers dangling from the perches and running the audience during Animation

-ispeakcirquish

nikita's picture

Great review, glad you had a good time and it was really cool that your dad was chosen in Mystere!

I agree Bateu is currently in a bad shape.  I hope it's just temporarily .

Ka never dissapoints.    The only thing I've noticed they have shortened the aerial straps duo act. I remember it used to be a lot longer and with really cool tricks.