Kurios, Los Angeles, 1/2/15 @ 8pm

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ispeakcirquish's picture
Kurios, Los Angeles, 1/2/15 @ 8pm

Hey y'all! So I just saw Kurios for the first time and I decided to do a little review for you guys! This was my fifteenth show, so I knew it wouldn't live up to the great ones I had seen live like Quidam and O, but I expected to like it more than Ovo and Dralion (near the end of its run). Now onto the actual show! Juggling and Aerial Bike were both out for some reason, which annoyed me a little bit, but I'm definitely going back before it leaves here and hopefully I'll catch them then.

Animation: I loved it! I had heard about this bridge that y'all were referencing, but I had no idea what to expect once I walked into the Chapiteau. I thought it was interesting and it was great to see The Seeker and the Winch and Suction Cup trying to figure out how to great the machine working.

Opening: I loved that they started a show with a parade of musicians, which is something I haven't seen in a while. I was really feeling the high energy of everyone emerging from the train and Kit and the other girl drumming to start the show off. Again, juggling was out for some reason, which was a little bit annoying

Russian Cradle: I expected a lot from this act and it gave me everything I wanted. Total audience favorite also.

Invisible Circus: I enjoyed it and most of the audience seemed to as well. It's a little long, but doesn't totally drag.

Contortion: Wonderful and well received by the audience as well.

Handbalancing on Chairs/Upside Down World: Reeaaallly cool. The reveal of the people up top had the audience going crazy. Also, this artist, Andrii Bondarenko, is one of the most controlled and steady handbalancers I've ever seen.

Rola Bola: Just fantastic. James Eulises Gonzalez was totally on his game and the swinging element had the audience going crazy (as expected). Great way to end the act before intermission.

Acro Net: Personal favorite act of the night. Really good way to start an act and throw the audience back into the world of the show. Plus, it looks absolutely bitchin. I also had no idea that the man who plays Microcosmos was going to be part of the team, so that was a fun little plus for me. Audience was going wild for it, the whole group was stellar.

Aerial Straps: I know we get down on Cirque for using this act too many times, but I thought that this was a really good use of it. Cirque added a duo straps act with two guys and they didn't really just copy the Atherton choreography, which I commend them for. Also, the move that they did at the end where they both kept doing uprises into maltese while rotating over each other was so fantastic and fitting for the show. Only complaint, half of the routine was just them flying over the audience in a flag position (arm behind back)(sorry I do aerial so I get nitpicky and technical about these kind of acts sometimes lol).

Clown Act (Girl on Couch): The girl at my performance had no idea what was going on, which made it even more hilarious. The part where Facundo was impersonating a cat had the audience absolutely dying (myself included) and was genuinely funny. Definitely the strongest clown act/interlude of the night.

Yo-Yo: It's really too small of an act for this kind of stage. Also, the performer missed a few moves and the audience wasn't loving the act in general. The opposite of the fan favorite.

Hand Puppetry: Really interesting and impressive choice! Genuinely enjoyable and fun to watch. Only complaint: The performers were basically wearing black fleece sweaters, which took me out of the experience a little bit.

Banquine: Fun act, but man does it not stack up to the banquine acts of Quidam, Zarkana, and even Viva Elvis. The element of danger for this style of banquine came not from how high they were throwing, but how far, which was kind of cool and something I didn't expect. Good act, but I was underwhelmed just because I know what this kind of act should look like.

Finale: Fun, lighthearted, just as it should have been.

Overall, I was happy with this show. It's nice to see Cirque have a show with actual characters (Microcosmos, Nico, Klara, Mni Lili) instead of "characters" like in Totem (The Tracker). It's a nice, relatively substantial show that doesn't rely on speaking to tell a story *coughTorukcough* with some pretty good acrobatics along the way. Also the music was great (sorry to throw that in, kind of forgot to talk about it). Biggest complaint was the constant use of technicians onstage. I know that it's a very prop and set heavy show, but they need to at least be disguised better if they're going to be coming on for every transition. In the end, still a good show. It's not Quidam, Mystere, or Varekai (in its early stages), but it's still a solid production. Overall, 7/10.

Ikaro's picture

Bummer you missed the juggling act. Probably one of the best opening acts ever in a Cirque Show! Also Karl, who plays Microcosmos started in Cirque with OVO as a Cricket (trampowall).

ispeakcirquish's picture

Yeah I'm hoping to catch it next time I go! And wow I just looked through my Ovo program and you're totally right! That's pretty cool.

-ispeakcirquish

Allxvita's picture

What about Aerial Bycicle? Is it still in the show?

- ☀☽ -

A1Federation's picture

Allxvita: They mentioned that aerial bike was out in the first paragraph.