KURIOS: Miami; January 28, 2017

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mungojerrie2010's picture
KURIOS: Miami; January 28, 2017

For the first time in forever, I had the pleasure of experiencing Cirque du Soleil as its meant to be experienced, under the magnificent Grand Chapiteau! Last night, I finally at the opportunity to see KURIOS: Cabinet of Curiosities and I’m still at a loss for words. I do not think there are enough adjectives to capture the essences and pure brilliance of this show! Everything was amazing! The set evokes a sense of mystery, the period costumes an elegant touch, the music is just…wow, and let’s not forget the highlight of the show itself, the stupendous acrobatic numbers. I honestly can’t bring myself to do a true review because there was just so much going on, I wish I had the chance to make multiple visits over its month run here, but alas I just couldn’t. I’ll do my best below:

Opening/Juggling: Is it possible that KURIOS’ opening skyrocketed to one of my all-time favorites? Yes. The animation is some of the best, finally enjoyable comedic relief. Our gradual introduction into the zany world of the Seeker is well-done. As the clock slowly turns toward the magic hour, we get a glimpse into this Cabinet of Curiosities until we hit 11:11 and this world is revealed to us. How fun is the train chugging across the Chapiteau? Amid the chaos, the juggler makes his way onstage. Past reviews reveal I’m not a big fan of juggling, but I quite enjoyed this man. A lot of had to do with the staging, I believe, but I found myself amazed throughout his act…something that almost never happens.

Russian Cradle: Inching its way onstage is what appears to be a giant piece of luggage. With what appears to be a jolt of light, the luggage “unwraps” and two artists step out. From here, we are treated to an electrifying act with lots of twists, turns, and of course the clichéd love arc. Always a nail biting act and certainly left the audience on the edge of the seats…if only we knew what was in store!

Aerial Bicycle/Contortion: Nice diversion from the typical aerial hoop or aerial silks, but something about this act just did not cut it for me. Nevertheless, I never thought I’d see the day where a bicycle was used as an aerial apparatus. Well done Cirque. Contortion was just an all-around great act. The giant hand slowly emerging from the Seeker’s darkest corners dawning these mystic creatures immediately picks your fancy. We come to infer these creatures are eels and the soundtrack, “Hypnotic”, is full of an electric energy that sets this act apart from other contortions; you can almost imagine real eels doing this in real life.

Balance on Chairs: Chair balancing has always been a favorite of mine, even if I’ve never seen it performed live in a Cirque show. As a tag line for the show states, ‘reality is relative’ and this act exemplifies that like no other. What begins as a lovely dinner party with a strapping gentleman showing off his chairstacking skills quickly turns into a topsy-turvy experience like none other. From the sky ascends literally the same act!! How this is pulled off, I frankly don’t want to know; but it was yet another great take on a classic.

Rola-Bola: One of the most amazing acts I have ever seen in a Cirque show, ever. Never before have I been glued to the edge of my seat and biting my nails during an act like I was during rola-bola. This act itself is nerve-racking, I remember seeing La Nouba’s version and panicking on the inside. Everyone under the Chapiteau let out a collective “ahhh” when the apparatus lifts and starts swinging in the air.  Great showmanship and way to end the first half.

Acro-net: Up above the world of KURIOS we happen upon a group of zany sea creatures. Jumping and swinging on the clouds, acro-net is almost like a power-track for the sky. With the artists propelling each other as high as they can then falling almost, it seems like, to their deaths; this was a nice opening to act two.

Aerial Straps/Yo-Yo/Hand puppets: Straps was a nice act overall. I enjoyed the symbolism of the Siamese Twins finally being able to disjoin and take flight. Yo-yo was certainly an entertaining, and different, diversion but it did nothing for me. As much as I can’t believe I’m saying this, I would have preferred to see diablo instead. Finally, hand puppets was a cool act and one I’ve never seen before. Personally, don’t think it deserved to be a part of the “main” act lineup; but that’s neither here nor there.

Banquine/finale: Nothing will ever top Quidam’s banquine but this comes close. The sheer strength and trust these artists have among each other is astounding. A nice way to lead into the ending of the show. I felt the show just abruptly ended. Again, like I said earlier, there was a TON of stuff happening on stage so it was hard to follow the Seeker’s storyline…so maybe in that context it was not abrupt. After such an amazing show, the finale felt as though something was missing…or maybe it was just denial on my half that the show was ending. Lol.

Overall, I’ll give KURIOS a 4.5/5. I’m so glad I was able to make the 3.5-hour trek to Miami and catch it before it packs up and heads off to a new city. I took my boyfriend who is not a huge fan of Cirque and he thoroughly enjoyed him, so I’m also happy for that. It was wonderful to finally be back under the Grand Chapiteau. If there is one good thing about living in Florida it’s that we get big top shows on a regular basis ;) KURIOS was show number eight and I’m looking forward to seeing not only this one again but show number nine! Until next time! 

Semisubtle's picture
AdministratorMember

Great review, I'm glad you had fun!! I agree the end is a bit abrupt, but I blame what I feel is a weaker banquine act than average. They just felt a little awkward and less charismatic than the rest of the cast to me, though it sounds like they were really "on" during your show, which is good to hear.  

Richasi's picture

Kurios as a whole seems to kind of have this... oh, we're done now... ending. If there's one criticism I have of the show, it's that. 

Mungojerrie2010's picture

Thanks for confirming I wasn't just having an irrational observation about the ending 

"All your dreams can come true. IF you have to courage to pursue them."-Walt Disney