La Nouba to close 31 December 2017

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
rowelle's picture

When some of us Spotlighters go to one of the last shows of La Nouba, I hope we can work something out with the publicist to coordinate some kind of backstage tour. :)

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (2), Luzia, Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

The Tracker's picture

Totally agree, absolutely love that idea!

Propel_Pierrot's picture

I officially announce that I offer a recorded version (DVD quality) of the show ZED to anyone who will give me a quality correct record of the song Propel by the current singer of the Nuba, Ralph Daniel Rawe. So if someone will see La Nouba soon and think to save this small segment of the show, you do not have idea how much I'll be happy! ;)

Richasi's picture

I love the lot behind the La Nouba theater (well, did, before all this construction). That's where I parked every time no matter if I was going to the La Nouba store, somewhere else at West Side, Pleasure Island, or even the Marketplace. There was always good parking there. Of course I can understand that's no longer the case, but... ;)

Sad to hear about the truncated show. Those are the worst. I do hope you get the full version next you go! That's also kind of sad for a Saturday night, but, it's also Halloween so I can imagine people had other things to do.

Z3D
Z3D's picture

Not really related to La Nouba, but there were so many truncated shows during Totem's stay in Sydney. It was actually ridiculous. The first time there was only one for foot juggling, and the second time it was missing roller skates. Friends of mine saw the show on 23 November and trapeze and RUSSIAN BARS were out! Those are the signature acts. How can you do that?

Did any other Sydneysiders have this problem? Or was I just unlucky.

The Tracker's picture

I know in Melbourne heaps of people complained about cut out acts (which might be why there are heaps of backups for japan). I went to see it on nov 28 and 31 de and all acts were in it both times, however the second time there were multiple screw ups, especially by the unicycle girls. Idk why they would cut out Russian bars cos try have a large amount of performers and it doesn't rely on aerial stuff and so shouldn't be subject to wind or anything unlike for trapeze though... Roller skates and foot juggling possibly due to injury? But I think you were unlucky, either that or I was lucky myself!

Someimagination's picture

Anymore updates on the fate of La Nouba? do we think its still closing this year? I did a quick google which had a result saying it's scheduled to close 2017 with no specific date yet..

The Tracker's picture

When was your article published?

The Tracker's picture

BTW I'm planning to go first or second week of December this year, so if anyone else wants to come put the dates on here and as Rowelle sugested ages ago, maybe someone can organise a backstage visit or something. Hopefully we can get it sorted before La Nouba closes (a large reason I want to go this year is in case these rumours are true I want to see it in person at least once!) Hoepfully they're still open!

Richasi's picture

Closing by end of the year.

Mungojerrie2010's picture

@Richasi, on a DIS podcast a few weeks ago, there was a comment made that Cirque would be brining a Big Top show to Orlando to compesate for the downtime until a new show was up and running? Any truth to that rumor? 

"All your dreams can come true. IF you have to courage to pursue them."-Walt Disney

Richasi's picture

I had not heard that specifically, Mungo, but I'll keep my ears open.

rowelle's picture

Tom, I am so down for that! Too early to know dates though. Are tix already on sale for December?

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (2), Luzia, Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

The Tracker's picture

Unfortunately not, which after hearing what Richasi said is making me freak out a little! Only on sale up to July I think!!!

I found this on a quick google search too... 

From an extremely reliable source:

Disney has asked for a new Cirque du Soleil show to be created in place of La Nouba! Current cast have signed contracts lasting until 2017, but will need to audition for the new show or other shows to continue employment past that date.

So if you haven't seen La Nouba, you're running out of time!

And if like me you've seen it multiple times, looking forward to a new show but am really going to miss this one!

Propel_Pierrot's picture

THAT'S              CAN'T                  BE                       TRUE                     Yell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew250's picture

Now calm down, everyone. I've seen La Nouba on DVD before and like everyone said: it was truly a Cirque classic. Now my theory, if it's true, they might be able to bring back Zed or bring in a new Cirque show to replace La Nouba. And even though I haven't seen La Nouba in person, I still think it's a cool Cirque classic. Besides, the show was created on the same year that I was born in: 1998.

ZarkMagic's picture

I know I am quiet on thess forums but La Nouba was a show I grew up with. If so, Ciraue du Soleil better have great show replacing La Npubas Concept

ZarkMagic's picture

I know I am quiet on thess forums but La Nouba was a show I grew up with. If so, Ciraue du Soleil better have great show replacing La Npubas Concept

The Tracker's picture

Matthew, I have no clue what you're on about. I can't care less about zed. It's on DVD just as La Nouba is so i dont see why it being possibly brought back (even though you have no evidence for this) is worth the life of la Nouba! It (at least in its DVD state) looks like an amazing show and it is definitely worth worrying about.

Richasi's picture

While it's true there've been rumors of Disney/Cirque replacing La Nouba for the last, god, 5-7years now I think (ever since Disney announced the re-devlopment of Downtown Disney in Orlando as Hyperion Wharf... which went nohwere until Disney Springs in 2016), this is more than a rumor. La Nouba *could* get a stay of execution by year's end, but, what I've been hearing lately is the show will come to a close on Dec 31st.

What it will be replaced with is up for conjecture at this point. I've heard wild ideas from no Cirque show, to a Disney Broadway-lite production, to a Disney-themed Cirque show, to a traditional Cirque show. I've not heard about any kind of transplant of ZED or ZARKANA or anything like that, and while I wouldn't rule it out, I don't think we'll see that. For all that La Nouba is/was, the show was created specifically for that market, so Disney will want the same kind of thing. Or so we should hope.

It's a little foolish to close La Nouba without the replacement ready to be installed, but, hey, stranger things have happened. For those who want to see the show this year, do it now, do it as soon as possible. I think you'll be fine up until the end, but, I can't guarantee what kind of show you'll get as the year comes to an end - some artists may jump ship early if they can.

Richasi's picture

TOM: People care about ZED because it was - arguably - vastly superior to the many other shows that came out of Cirque's expansion era. It closed not because it was bad, but because of location, lack of advertisement, and, of course, the earthquake and tsunami. And while it was recorded and placed on DVD, it wasn't done so for the masses. It's not available publically, so, many fans either can't get it, or have compressed copies of it from YouTube downloads. (Same with IRIS, ZAIA, Viva Elvis, Zarkana in Moscow, Zarkana's Last Show in Las Vegas, MJ Immortal, and so on...)

Another reason that people turn to ZED as a natural replacement for La Nouba is that a) at the time of the show's closure, both Cirque and the show's director advised we hadn't seen the last of ZED (which is wishful thinking really, but has fueled the resurrection rumors for the last 5-6 years now), and b) the theater ZED was installed in over at Tokyo Disneyland was a direct copy of La Nouba's theater (the inside, not the outside), only enlarged a little. So it could theoretically be possible to install ZED at the Cirque theater at Downtown Disney with some modifications. 

Many of us would like to see a good show resurrected to replace La Nouba, if Cirque/Disney intends to close it. I've always floated the idea that Quidam might be a good fit, but others have argued it's a bit too dark. (And yet it has a good central family theme, and a girl lead character... Princess Zoe anyone?). I'd much rather see that than an installation of ZARKANA or TORUK or a new show that just doesn't live up to the potential of what was already there, or what had come before.

I have a feeling the theatre will be left vacant for sometime. I'd question if a whole new show being installed immediately after La Nouba checks out would be a good decision. I personally believe by leaving the theatre empty for a couple of years, Cirque could respark the excitment that once was had when La Nouba first moved in. By installing a new show straight away I think the excitement would die down quickly. 

I dont think any retired/current shows will be moved into the space, nor do I think a Disney themed show will be moved in. I think the venue was created specifically to house only La Nouba, and having a space already made and custom made for one particular show would make some huge challenges for the creation of a new show. It wouldn't surprise me if the theatre was knocked down and rebuilt from the ground up. 

I also wish Franco Dragone would direct the new creation for this space :,(

and no I don't think its a crazy idea that the theatre could be demolished and rebuilt. With the success of La Nouba, I'm sure both Disney and CDS would be happy to invest money into new infrastructure. After all, La Nouba has run for nearly 20 years.... 

Richasi's picture

I disagree, Someimagination. Disney is spending boo-coo minivans (er, I mean, bucks - hey, Orlando folks will understand that reference) on Avatar in Animal Kingdom, on Star Wars & Toy Story Land in Studios, the recent re-developments at Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, and is gearing up to spend money on EPCOT - I don't think they really want to spend any more money than they need to. The theater is unique, yes, and as such stands out. I don't feel it would need to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up.

Much of the seating and stage thrust can be easily reused. The only changes would need to be the background, imo, and yes, they'd have to rip all that out and start again for a new show. And that wouldn't take years, that would take weeks to months only. Look what they did with ARIA to remove Viva Elvis and move in Zarkana. They can do that kind of thing more easily now. The only constraints is that they'd need to work within the confines of the design they have now.

But, since the inside is separate from the outside, they could theoretically gut the inside and rebuild that. However, I don't know that Cirque and Disney would want to keep that theater dark for years. It's better to rekindle that spark by getting a new show in there right away, then market the hell out of it.

Mungojerrie2010's picture

I agree, Richasi, no way they want that prime space sitting empty for longer than it needs to be. Disney Springs is marketeded as shopping, dining, and entertainment experience; truthfully the only entertainment there (besides the live bands) is La Nouba. In reality, what should have happened was the show should have ended in 2015 and a new one should have opened last summer when Disney Springs was, for the most part, complete. 

"All your dreams can come true. IF you have to courage to pursue them."-Walt Disney

The Waiter's picture

I really hope La Nouba isn't closing. Yes, the show is old but man I love it so much it would realy hurt to see it leave. And it was the show that first introduced me to Cirque.

However if it should close, I would be more than happy to see Zed come back and replace it. It would be a perfect fit for Disney World and the current theater.

The Tracker's picture

Richasi, let me clarify myself as my last message was a spur of the moment defendnce against the statement that we should "all calm down" about la Nouba being closed because "they might bring back zed". I do for sure care for Zed (but not that much compared to some shows, probably because I've never seen it live) but it is shocking to think that we should all just sit back and chill while they close la Nouba simply based on an assumption that Zed might come back. AND although I'm aware of why it may be replaced with Zed, like you I have heard nothing that suggests this will happen and thus I refuse to calm down about La Nouba's closure, especially since it has been the one show I've dreamed of seeing live and (until the past 24 hours) I didn't know if I would be able to.

Allxvita's picture

Oh man what a shame. I really hoped for La Nouba to last a little longer. Do you guys think more shows will be closing this year?

- ☀☽ -

A1Federation's picture

I would imagine Varekai is next to go - not necessarily this year, but I imagine within 2 years from now. One could suggest Mystère, but as far as I know it still consistently sustains an decent audience. O, of course, won't be gone for years. I'm not sure how Zumanity is doing, but it would likely be the next after Varekai (IMO, at least).

Pages