O Technical problems- Kinda dissapointing (09-08-2017)

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
nikita's picture
O Technical problems- Kinda dissapointing (09-08-2017)

Hi guys,

So this was my 13th time seeing O and I know that technical problems can happen and the cast and crew always try their best but…you’re paying 180 USD per ticket! In this case 3 because I took my mom and sister with me.

We attended the 9:30 pm show last Friday and it stopped at the beginning of solo trapeze, the horses were stuck in the air for about 10 minutes before the artists left the stage. They couldn’t land on water because there was a problem with the underwater platforms. After 20 to 25 minutes the show resumed with Barge.  They completely cut solo trapeze, they didn’t start over!

Unfortunately, the problem continued throughout the show.  They stage configuration affected almost every act and transition, some were painful to see.

Bateau: One artist fell into the water on the very first jump so they CUT the act right there. So yeah, no Bateau either!! 

Clowns: They had to do the act on the right corner of the stage, leaving some people of the audience unable to see what was going on.

Fire: Each artist was on their own part of the stage that was divided by water, therefore, they had to improvise. They continuously dropped the fire sticks, at one moment one fell into the water and never lit again. Another act messed up and shortened.

Russian swings and Cadre were great, thanks Godness.

Washington Trapeze:  There is a new girl performing this act, it was OK, but she couldn’t do all the tricks. 

Contortion: The artists came out on the floating raft just like Barge (instead of hanging in the air) The set configuration is usually beautiful here, but it didn’t work this time because of the platform problems.

Cerceaux: The artist couldn’t spin properly for the very same reason mentioned above.

I was so disappointed that I was thinking to ask for a refund or discount but well…what would you do? Am I exaggerating? 

My mom and sister liked it but I'm sorry they couln't see it in all its glory.

Someimagination's picture

Sorry to hear that. When I saw Kooza and contortion was out, I complained at the box office and was immediately issued complimentary tickets to revisit another showing. You are not over reacting and I would of said something. 

Enderman9000's picture

@Someimagination - Over one act? Contortion, even? I don't think that's really worth complaining about.

Kooza contortion is my favourite contortion act from all of the shows. Those girls are on point. 

rowelle's picture

I didn't even know complaining about a cut act and getting comped tickets was an option. The site does disclose that acts could be cut due artist injury or whatever. So I'm surprised they gave you a comped ticket. It is interesting that they did cut that act though, being that there's three girls in it. I'm sure they have alternate versions of the act with 2 or even 1 of the girls, so cutting it entirely for your show is surprising.

I was upset that Aerial Straps wasn't in my second viewing of Luzia because it is my favorite act in the show, but the techs in the control booth told me he had an injury. Never crossed my mind to complain about it. Also, Rola Bola wasn't in 2 of the 3 showings I went to of Kurios, and the third time I saw it, Russian Cradle was cut. Was really hoping to see that because I love it when that weird character gets on the bike and turns the cradle around the stage.

I should've complained when I saw "Michael Jackson: Immortal." The tickets I got were almost $200 apiece for shitty seats and there were two of us. There were so many technical issues. During the show they had it dark and they had the little stars shining in the audience for 20 minutes while they tried to fix something. also, the top of the tree never came down. Not an MJ fan, but saw it because it was Cirque and it was the worst Cirque experience I've ever had.

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (3), Luzia (2), Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

Yeah the girls went MIA for a few weeks on the Australian tour. And then they came back with two girls. And then maybe a month later there were three of them again. 

Colton's picture

"contortion was out, I complained at the box office and was immediately issued complimentary tickets"

Wow, is it always that easy?? I know there was a show in Australia where contortion was a solo! I saw a recent video and I know the act has been shortened up by maybe a minute but the choreography is much slower and shall we say 'softer' than the original trio on the dvd. I think the girls now work without a coach.

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

Yeah they didn't hesitate giving me new tickets at all. Also they didn't have a replacement act or anything so I guess that helped. When all three girls were together in Perth they were amazing. 

Enderman9000's picture

Anyways hopefully O isn't having these issues when I see it on Friday. It'll be my first time seeing the Vegas shows so I'm super excited.

rowelle's picture

Enderman: Hope you have fun! It's been my dream for the longest to go to Vegas to see the resident shows there! Except LOVE and ONE.

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (3), Luzia (2), Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

Enderman9000's picture

Same for me. I'll be seeing Ka, Mindfreak, O, then ending it off with Mystere.

ispeakcirquish's picture

@rowelle Except Love? what do you have against it? 

-ispeakcirquish

Semisubtle's picture
AdministratorMember

Really interesting, Nikita! I'm sorry to hear you had such an off performance. I think complaining is definitely appropriate here. That is not the O you came to see! I'm glad your family enjoyed the show anyway. 

rowelle's picture

ispeakcirquish: I only saw Michael Jackson: Immortal because it was a Cirque production. I was never a fan of MJ's music. I'm upset I went because the tickets were expensive and I was so effing bored. It was mostly dancing and not enough stuff I expect from a Cirque show. So I will never again see a Cirque show created for and based on someone's music. I also had no interest in Viva Elvis. For LOVE, I don't ever plan on seeing it because I wasn't a fan of the Beetles or their music. Their music is/was great, but it's just not for me. I'm sure LOVE & ONE, just like Viva Elvis and Immortal will be mostly dancing. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Colton's picture

One and Love should not be compared to Immortal... in any aspect.

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

NoaBoa66's picture

@Rowelle Right those shows never fancied me either. They just dont have that cirque feeling to them then other cirque shows do. Actually they dont have it at all they might as well be seperate shows. Im sure they are great and all but its like a meh to me. Like you also said the music is a big part of it and in all honesty, the music kinda just bores me. Dont get me wrong I like me a little MJ or Beatles from time to to time but not in a cirque show! Have Fun at Vegas @Enderman, Saw Mystere and I was dazed for days.

The Tracker's picture

100% agree with you NoaBoa and Rowelle.

CirqueFan's picture

I was at that same show! I dont remember it pausing for that long, though, and I never considered asking for a refund. Those performers work so hard and the show was still very enjoyable. I feel like complaining about minor technical difficulties would be petty.

sugarpuppy9's picture

I was there that night with my boyfriend and a couple friends.  This was the last night of our vacation and we were really looking forward to the show so we too were very disappointed.  Normally I wouldn't ask for some sort of refund but we all paid around $180 each.  Here is the response I received from the concierge:

|

Fri 9/22, 8:55 PM

Good Evening, I received your email regarding your attendance to the “O” show last September 8th.  After speaking with the “O” Show Box office etc, there are no refunds being provided for the previously seen show.  If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me via toll free at 1-866-906-7171 or email. 

Regards,

sugarpuppy9

The Tracker's picture

Why would you ask for a refund? They put on a 2 hour show for you! Ok so that performance had technical issues, but thats just show business I guess. It's not like you just sat in an empty theatre the whole time. If you don't like it then don't go back, leave feedback with the staff or write a review but you still have to pay since you did 'consume' their product.

Maybe a discount is a fair compromise, but remember they did still work tirelessly to put on a show for you. In fact, if anything, the cast and crew on that night were working their butts off more than usual to not only run the show (which is hard enough work) but also try fix the problems all whilst trying to rechoreograph everything. The poor stage manager must've been having a nightmare of a day!