Varekai CLOSING December 23, 2017

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mungojerrie2010's picture
Varekai CLOSING December 23, 2017

After 15 years of touring around the globe in over 200 cities and 43 countries, Cirque du Soleil Varekai will take its final bow on December 23, 2017, in Sugar Land, Texas. Launched in Montreal in 2002, the show has had an exceptional run, touring 11 years under the Big Top and 4 years in arenas.

The colourful world of Varekai, with its enchanted forest and energetic performances, has already won over more than 11 million spectators. By the end of its run, the show will have been performed over 5,200 times. “I pay tribute to this wonderful show and salute all the artists, technicians and employees who have made Varekai one of the brightest jewels of Cirque du Soleil” explained Jean-François Bouchard, Chief Creative Officer.

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/press/news/2017/varekai-final-bow.aspx

I am honestly speechless. My two favorite shows closing within seven days of each other. Hoping it comes within a reasonable distance so I can see it one last time Cry

rowelle's picture

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (3), Luzia (2), Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

Enderman9000's picture

This is depressing.

Switched accounts to Wittloc

Mungojerrie2010's picture

This is literally the last touring show from, in my opinion, Cirque's Golden Age. We've lost Saltimbanco, Alegria, Quidam, Dralion, and now Varekai. Ugh, very sad all around. 

"All your dreams can come true. IF you have to courage to pursue them."-Walt Disney

rowelle's picture

And why the hell are they bringing back Corteo? I'd rather they had extended Alegria, Quidam, Dralion, Varekai.

Cirque Shows Seen: Alegria, Amaluna, Kooza, Kurios (3), Luzia (2), Michael Jackson: Immortal, Quidam, Varekai

Richasi's picture

I'm shocked but I'm not surprised, which may be paradoxically stated but that's how I feel. I've been expecting an announcement - but I didn't expect the show to close for another year or maybe two. But, it has been touring for 15 years so I guess Cirque feels it's time has come.

But I wonder if it's because Cirque needs capacity for Quartz and Corteo's remount and/or something else coming we're not aware of yet. I hate to think there's yet another big top show for 2018... back-to-back-to-back is just ridiculous in my opinion, alas, what can you do. Just ride the wave I guess.

I'm also guessing this could mean that Kooza will be converted to arena "shortly". It's been touring 10 years under the grand chapiteau and that seems to be the limit before conversion...

Colton's picture

There could only be one touring show with a V at any given time. 

La Nouba, Corteo, Delirium, Ovo, Quidam, Totem, Saltimbanco, Immortal, Amaluna. 

Allxvita's picture

I knew it! Guys, let's agree that this is the perfect time for Varekai to close. The show is not in its best shape and I don't want to see it turn into another Dralion mess. I never got the chance to see it live though ):

- ☀☽ -

Matthew250's picture

Well, at least I still have the Cirque du Soleil DVD Collection to remember all the touring shows that performed during Cirque's golden age. Especially Varekai. But hey. At least Mystere and Zumanity are still performing in Vegas.

rowelle's picture

The Varekai director needs to make another show!

The Tracker's picture

Called it! I suspected Varekai was going to close soon but the fact that it's going back to America AGAIN annoys me since its skipping all the other continetns yet again. I'm disappointed not to have seen it live but it seems like it's not in very good shape anyway. And yes I totally agree, this is the last remaining true Cirque show where artistic value not money drove the company. Kooza needs to be retired asap imo, found parts of it very boring. They need to scrap these new crappy shows and revive Salti, Dralion, Algeria etc but do it properly in arena if not in GC.

ispeakcirquish's picture

Fuck, my favorite show. They need to announce the final US cities so I can see if I'll be able to catch it one last time.

EDIT: Actually not my ultimate favorite, but the first show I saw live so it holds a very special place in my heart.

-ispeakcirquish

NoaBoa66's picture

NOOOO! NOT VAREKAI! Im assming this is the next "Houston" stop for cirque, but why here? Why is cirque ending its shows in randoms location (Quidam, Dralion) instead of going back to Montreal.

rowelle's picture

Noa, right? Shows should always retire where they premiere. Even though I just saw Varekai less than two years ago, I still want to see it again before it closes. I hope it stops by/near Seattle!

The Trickster's picture

Oh wow, my first ever Cirque show. It was starting to be watered down though. Hope the whole cast will find new shows.